Rosebery, at the foot of Mount Black, is an active zinc-mining town with an estimated yield of $8 billion since mining began over a century ago.
Rosebery lays claim to:
- The "highest" post code in Tasmania,
- Australia's steepest golf course,
- Tasmania's highest rainfall on nearby Mount Read
- Mount Black is the highest mountain in the southern hemisphere with trees at its summit.
- Tasmania's highest waterfall - Montezuma Falls, accessed either by walking along the old tram route, by self-drive or by a 4WD tour.
- Stitt Falls is reached in about a 30 minute walk through rain forest, starting at Stitt Park in the heart of Rosebery.
Just 10 minutes' drive from town is the start of the track to Tasmania's highest waterfall (104 metres), accessed through a pleasant park-like rainforest. More...
30 minute walk through rain forest starts at the Stitt Park and ends at the Stitt Falls, in the heart of Rosebery. More...
Hays Bus Tours
Take a guided trout fishing tour with an expert guide, see the magnificent Montezuma Falls on a four wheel drive tour, walk through 2000 year old Huon pine forest or take an above ground tour of the Rosebery Mine and the township. More...
Rosebery Golf Course
This popular and scenic community-run golf course features the steepest green in Australia with the par 5 "up" and "down" eighth hole. Surrounded by lush rainforest. Some hills are involved. Green fees are paid into an honesty box as clubrooms are only open on competition days. Just outside Rosebery, Murchison Highway. Tel: (03) 6473 1112. More...
Frenchmans Cap (3 day walk)
Nelson Falls (15mins return walk)
Stitt Falls 30 minute walk through rain forest starts at the Stitt Park and ends at the Stitt Falls, in the heart of Rosebery. More...
Folk Festival Weekend
Day and evening performances
Top Pub, Rosebery South Oval, RSL. More...
Rosebery Athletics Carnival
Cycling, Athletics, Rock Drilling, Wood Chopping. More...
Targa races through Rosebery every April/May.
- Bus from Hobart or Burnie:
Tassielink Coaches - Tullah/Rosebery/Zeehan/Queenstown/Strahan.
Tel: 1300 300 520, Fax: (03) 6231 6090.
Email: email@example.com www.tassielink.com.au
- Road (self drive):
From Burnie take the B18 Murchison Highway
From Hobart take the Lyell Highway
- Closest Town
Tullah 11mins (14km) and Zeehan 35mins (29km)